I get asked a lot about the type of person we hire at ISlide. Well, in order to understand my answer, I think you need to know about me a little more first. Before my internship at Reebok, I did landscaping my entire life. I worked for guys that demanded that we work hard. The toughest of them all was my good buddy Greg Powell's dad, aka Chief, who had no off button. He was one of the hardest workers I ever knew and always let by example, so no one could say anything to him. I also have 2 entrepreneur parents, who both are some of the hardest workers I know. This experience and these role models molded me into the worker I am today, and what I look for in the people I hire. Back to the story though: To be completely honest, I could not have been luckier to get my internship at Reebok. The guy said to me, "You are a hotel and restaurant management major, why in the f*&k should I hire you." He asked me to play an intramural hoop game in the morning. I had the game of my life and he hired me on the spot. Hard work and passion are my 2 favorite qualities about potential interns or hires.
So, the hiring process for ISlide begins with the internship process. It's a must. It's kind of like dating, where we can see if this thing has a shot or not. All 5 of our current employees all started as unpaid interns. The sports industry is one where people will do anything to get into….as they should, it's an amazing one. Here are some keys to keep in mind for getting a chance at ISlide:
- Even though we have a work hard/play hard atmosphere, come in dressed professionally and a great positive attitude. Don't be late. 15 minutes early is on time, and on time is late.
- Are you waiting for us to give you projects, or are you being proactive about adding value in your own way?
- Can we feel like we can hang out with you?
- When given crappy jobs (which sometimes you will happen), how do you handle them? If you do it with a great attitude and hard work, you are already plus 1 in my book. If you procrastinate or give a "look", you have no future with us. You may not make it past the day.
- Are you smart enough to find a void in our company and try to fill it with your qualities?
- Can you dominate a game of "Heads Up"?
- Can you handle being a part of something bigger than all of us? Can you keep up?
Is your answer to all of these questions, "yes"? Or even, "I don't know, but I definitely want to give it a try." Email your resume to HR@ISlideUSA.com.